Monday, November 13, 2006

500 alarm chili.

I made some chili tonight and had to improvise my recipe a bit. I usually make it with canned tomatoes that have the green chilies already in it. Well I ran out of those so I try to season it my self using some trusty old cayenne. It tasted good but was a bit too spicy. Was still yummy though.
Reminds me of when Jerek and I were first married. I made my first pot of chili all by myself. I was so proud of myself for making this ginormous pot of real texas chili. There was just one small problem. I didn't have any chili powder. I didn't know what cayenne was but I did have that. The recipe called for 1 tablespoon of chilipowder. Chili powder, Cayenne, they are all made of peppers. Same thing, right? Wrong! It was the hottest chili I ever tasted. In fact I think it was the only thing I tasted for a few hours after. Jerek and one of his friends ate several bowls of it and needless to say, they suffered horribly as it digested. I did too but not for the same reasons. = )
I now know the difference and I still have the same bottle of cayenne that I had then. That is how sparingly I now use it.

1 comment:

rob said...

That's awesome! My mom switched italian seasoning with dill in spaghetti one night BLAH!

-- Robert