Saturday, January 16, 2010

When we first moved out here I had some chickens. I had 11 of them. Between our dog we had and something that was breaking into the henhouse I ended up being down to 5.
Jerek helped me build a chicken tractor near our house, but it ended up being bigger than a chicken tractor. The hens don't mind the extra space though.
Here are some pictures of the ladies in their new house.


We have 2 hens that are laying right now. I am hoping with the days getting longer the rest will start soon.
In true hick fashion I converted on old microwave cart into a nestbox.


I usually let them out to roam during the day, but I want them to get used to their new home. They need to know where to go at night and where to lay their eggs.


They really want out. they were climbing all over the wire trying to get out.


I would like to have a couple more hens. i am going to try my hand at incubating and hatching some. I borrowed an incubator and my mom-in-law has a rooster and hens so I can get fertilized eggs from her. When I get that up and running I will post pictures of that.

2 comments:

Dave Ketah said...

Your chickens look good! I think you made a great choice with the microwave cart. We used pallets to build our chicken coop. :)

Mandy said...

Thanks Dave. good idea on the pallets. We have a ton of wood and stuff out here. I have made and fixed tons of things and not had to buy any materials outside of the occasional box of screws.